A Smattering of Distant Applause

I don't feel like dancin'. Except, of course, I do.

3.8.06

Why do they do these things to children, Pan? Do they all hate children so much?

One of the problems of making film version of books is that though they can be good, they can never really live up to the source material. I've got better at not complaining about the liberties films take with some of my favourite books - I enjoyed the latest two Harry Potter films, for instance, and I loved the recent film adaptation of Pride and Prejudice - but there are some things I simply can't put up with.

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy have been my favourite books since I first read them when I was twelve, so I responded to the news that they were making a film version with some trepidation. It can't possibly live up to all my expectations, but what upsets me more is that they don't even seem to be trying.

Take the director, for example: Chris Weitz, of American Pie fame. It doesn't really inspire confidence, does it? I know very little about directing and even less about Chris Weitz, but it seems hard to imagine that someone who's more used to directing goofy American comedies can do justice to something so immense. And now it's been confirmed that Nicole Kidman has been cast as Mrs Coulter, and I'm ready to give up on the whole thing completely. Of course, this is mainly personal and subjective - I don't think Nicole Kidman is a bad actress per se, I just don't particularly care for her and she's certainly nothing like I ever pictured Mrs Coulter. I think she'd look silly with black hair, and she just isn't attractive enough for me to buy her as this disarmingly beautiful woman who uses her charm to manipulate people.

You don't even want get me started on the rumours about Paul Bettany playing Lord Asriel.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:54 am, Anonymous Zel said…

    nbvbdsjv *cries* I'm really debating whether or not I go to see this film. And it could have been so good!

     
  • At 1:04 pm, Blogger Julia said…

    I know - I feel like I *should* go and see it, but I really don't want to in case it's rubbish and ruins all my mental images of stuff.

     
  • At 6:09 pm, Anonymous Ems said…

    ! I think Paul Bettany would be a BRILLIANT Lord Azriel! He's got that great charismatic, obsessive-to-the-point-of-madness thing going on. Plus he's incredibly hot. ;)

     
  • At 1:30 pm, Blogger Julia said…

    But he's way too young! Maybe I just think Lord Asriel is older than he's really meant to be, but Paul Bettany seems too young and nothing how I'd pictured Lord Asriel at all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home