A Smattering of Distant Applause

I don't feel like dancin'. Except, of course, I do.

15.8.06

This is a worrying development indeed.

If we're to believe Play.com, Girls Aloud are going to be releasing a Greatest Hits on 23rd October. We all know what happens after pop groups release three studio albums followed by a Greatest Hits: unless they're the bewilderingly durable Westlife, they split up. And we all know what Girls Aloud splitting up would be: a fucking disaster, that's what. Is it too much to hope that Play.com has got this all wrong, and that instead they'll be releasing a fourth studio album? Various people on the internet (I know, such a reliable source!) have said that various band members have mentioned a studio album, so I'm still clinging to a shred of hope, but these rumours of a Greatest Hits have me most displeased.

Still, it's not all bad; a Girls Aloud Greatest Hits would actually be one of the best albums of all time.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:55 pm, Anonymous SAMMUL said…

    HAHA WESTLIFE FTW!

    Still: D: D: D: WHY, GA, WHY? Let's hope it's either wrong, or that they Do A Westlife.

     
  • At 7:46 pm, Blogger Julia said…

    I think this is possibly the only way in which I'd like them to Do A Westlife, but I don't think they have a big enough fanbase to keep on going indefinitely :(

     
  • At 12:02 pm, Blogger Steve said…

    I've not heard anything, but I'm usually the last one to know. No one ever tells the online people anything first. But I've heard a few stories where they've said they'd be crazy to split up right now. Then again, those stories are usually in the same tabloids that claim they're splitting again the next day.

    And a GA Best Of would be ace, but would still be hampered by 'I'll Stand By You' and 'See The Day', and wouldn't contain 'Some Kind Of Miracle', 'Graffiti My Soul' or 'Swinging London Town'. :(

    Of course, possibly a Greatest Hits would be a Beverley Knight-style attempt to boost the album sales of a band who, while popular, don't traditionally shift that many albums, because people will buy all the singles in one place because they know they'll like it, and it'll fit nicely next to James Blunt and Katie Melua *facepalm*.

     
  • At 7:08 pm, Blogger Julia said…

    I do like your theory of it being an attempt to boost sales rather than it being the end. God knows they need it, but apparently it's released just before the Sugababes' one, so it might get overshadowed, and they'd really need to get a single to radio sharpish.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home