A Smattering of Distant Applause

I don't feel like dancin'. Except, of course, I do.

26.7.06

The current music 'scene': two rants and a rave

Let's talk about Lily Allen. Everyone else is, and it won't be very long until she's boring and passé, so consider this me striking while the iron is still hot.

Here's the thing about Lily Allen: she's not actually very good.

Ever since PopJustice mentioned Lily a few months ago, before the bandwagon was thoroughly jumped on, I've been trying to 'get' her, but so far I've failed miserably. Some of her songs are amusing - I don't mind admitting that Nan You're A Window Shopper is somewhere approaching genius - but apart from chuckling at the occasional lyric, her music doesn't excite me at all; I've heard her album and it never quite manages to exceed 'quite good'. Plus, anyone who can write a song called Cheryl Tweedy and not make it the acest thing I've ever heard? Must be rubbish.

And while I'm at it: her blog. Her 'hilarious' blog that's 'essential reading', or whatever people have been saying about it.

"Today I did this show and then I did that and then I met [insert name of indie rockstar here] and he was a cunt and YAY SMILE IS NUMBER ONE THANK YOU I'm so pleased I acted like a twat but that's not the same thing as the indie guy being a twat because here I am acknowledging it so who cares if I'm not going to change. Plus [insert name of another indie rockstar here] is also a dick."


Slagging people off does not a personality make, especially if you're not even going to bother doing it in a particularly interesting or creative way.

Lily isn't the only current popstar that's ridiculously overrated: Step forward, Mr. Timberlake. SexyBack is so nearly a great song, but the lack of anything resembling a melody and the fact that it goes on for several hours means that, frankly, it isn't. I'm similarly unimpressed with the 'my spacebar has broken' gimmick he's got going on. What's the point?

Luckily, it's not all doom and gloom in the world of pop, which is largely due to the return of the wonderful Scissor Sisters. I Don't Feel Like Dancin' is not exactly cutting edge, but when it sounds this good, who cares? It's great fun and hugely danceable, despite the title, and everything that pop music should be.



Life feels so much better with Scissor Sisters in it.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:41 pm, Anonymous Zel said…

    Whee new blog! I shall be perusing this regularly, because I am so out of the loop it is shameful. I had no idea the Scissor Sisters were back, I haven't heard even a clip of Mr T's new song and I've never heard of Lily Allen. I fail.

     
  • At 6:32 pm, Blogger Julia said…

    Haha, you do fail! You're not missing out with not having heard Justin's new song/anything of Lilys, but you should hear the new Scissor Sisters track because it's ace.

     
  • At 6:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
    »

     
  • At 1:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home